The strawberry patch has come on a long way since I first started with 4 plants. I have just harvested a large bowl full this evening and put some aside for eating but there are just too many. Not wanting to waste such a lovely crop I set about making some more jam with the other 1½kg.
Beth's made a runny strawberry jam before from Sarah Raven's cook book but I prefer something a little more set. Drawing on my apple and blackberry jam making earlier this year I've set about (pun intended) making something by combining that recipe with Sarah's. I've just finished so the jury is still out on the results, perhaps an update or comment to this post at a later date will be in order.
Just so I remember what on earth I did...
- 1½kg freshly picked strawberries, halved.
- 1kg high pectin sugar (I use Silverspoon Jam Sugar with Added Pectin).
Put the strawberries in a pan and heat gently while stirring. When they are coming to the boil add the sugar and stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved. Mash the mixture with a potato masher (or put in a blender if you want it really fine) to smooth it out to your desired texture. Turn the heat up and bring to the boil, continue to boil and stir until the setting point is reached. Setting point should be around 105 degrees celsius, test on a cool plate. I boiled for around 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash some jars and lids. Sterilise them by placing on a tray, then put into the oven on 160 degrees celsius. Once the oven has reached temperature turn it off and leave the jars in the oven until you need them.
Allow the mix to cool a little before transferring to the sterile jars. Add wax discs (wax side up) and put the lids on.
Job done. Enjoy!